السبت، 17 يناير 2015

Do you want to - OR - do you want !?








Today we are going to look at questions with "Do you want" or "Do you want to" in English.
Take a look at the following conversation between Victoria and Michael to see how they are used:

Victoria: Hi, Michael. Do you want to come to the cinema with me today at 5.30?
Michael: OK, Victoria. Do you want me to invite Sally too?
Victoria: You can but I think she's busy.
Michael: What movie do you want to watch?
Victoria: I'm not sure. Let's decide in the car.
Michael: OK! Do you want me to come pick you up?
Victoria: Yes please.
Michael: Do you want dinner afterwards at Pizza Mania?

When we use "Do you want to" in English, we normally use a verb after the preposition "to".
 It is used in questions to find out if someone wants to do something. For example:
Do you want to eat out tonight?
Do you want to go to the cinema on Sunday afternoon?

If you want to offer to do something for someone else, use the structure "Do you want me to" + the base form of the verb, for example:
Do you want me to help you with your homework?
Do you want me to make dinner tonight as you are tired?

We can also use "Do you want" followed by a noun after to offer someone something. For example:
Do you want some water?
Do you want some more coffee?

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق

ملحوظة: يمكن لأعضاء المدونة فقط إرسال تعليق.